Member Update 16-04: Board Of Directors Elections
From: National Office
Date:May 12, 2016
Subject: BOARD OF DIRECTORS ELECTIONS
Action Please By:
June 8, 2016
The election of NACWA Board Members takes place each year at the July Annual Association Business Meeting. This year, Board seats in Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, and 10 are up for election. Candidates for regional Board of Directors vacancies are being solicited by NACWA's Nominating Committee (Directors) via this Member Update. Regional Board seats up for election are as follows:
John Sullivan – Running for Re-Election (3-year term)
Andy Kricun – Running for Re-Election (3-year term)
Karen Pallansch – Running for Re-Election (3-year term)
Open Seat – (3-year term)
Open Seat – (3-year term)
Mark Sanchez – Running for Re-Election (3-year term)
Terry Leeds – Running for Re-Election (3-year term)
Open Seat – as of June 1 (3-year term)
Harlan Kelly - Running for Re-Election (3-year term)
Open Seat (3-year term)
It is the objective of NACWA’s Board of Directors that the Association’s leadership reflects diversity with regard to sex, race and national origin. Designated representatives and primary contacts of Member Agencies in good standing are eligible for election to the Board of Directors. Board Members running for re-election will be considered for nomination by the Nominating (Directors) Committee along with other nominated candidates.
In order to be considered by NACWA’s Nominating Committee (Directors), nominees for regional Board seats must personally confirm their willingness to serve and receive the support of two or more designated Member Agency representatives from their region in writing (e-mail is acceptable). In the event that there is more than one nominee from a given region, the Nominating Committee, in consultation with regional leadership, shall review nominations based on the noted qualifications and select the single best candidate to be put before the membership for election. The Nominating Committee will report nominations to the entire membership for election at the Association’s Annual Business Meeting in Denver, Colorado in July.
Factors for Consideration/Qualifications
The factors and qualifications to be considered when placing your name, or that of another Member Agency representative, into nomination include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The nominee’s ability to commit to active participation on the Board of Directors and Board committees, and capability of fulfilling the duties of a member of the Board of Directors (NACWA’s Board meets in person four times a year. Please see the responsibilities and expectations of Board Members below);
- Whether the nominee’s Member Agency is active in Association initiatives;
- Whether the nominee represents geographical diversity within the region;
- Whether the nominee reflects the diversity of the community served; and,
- The nominee’s ability and willingness to effectively represent the Association to Member Agencies in their region, individuals, the public, and other organizations.
Election to NACWA’s Board of Directors carries with it a set of responsibilities and expectations. Broadly they include to act as a voting member of the Board with full authority and responsibility to develop policies and procedures for the operation of NACWA; to monitor the Association’s financial health, programs, and overall performance; and, to provide the Chief Executive Officer with the resources necessary to achieve NACWA’s purpose and strategic objectives. Specifically, service on NACWA’s Board of Directors includes responsibilities as part of the full Board, as well as individual Board Member expectations as follows:
The Full Board’s Responsibilities:
- Establish policy.
- Maintain financial accountability of the Association.
- Monitor Association finances.
- Create and update a long-range Strategic Plan and Financial Plan for the Association.
- Elect and support the Association’s officers.
- Adopt key operating policies & procedures.
Individual Board Member Expectations:
- Attend all board meetings and activities.
- Observe your fiduciary duties to the Association.
- Become knowledgeable about the Association.;
- Come to board meetings well-prepared and well-informed about issues on the agenda.
- Contribute to the dialogue during Board meetings.
- Consider other points of view, make constructive suggestions and help the Board make decisions that benefit the Association.
- Fill board leadership roles as needed.
- Represent the Association to individuals, the public, and other organizations at speaking engagements and personal interactions.
- Actively engage in strategic advocacy initiatives on behalf of NACWA.
- Ensure the engagement of, and represent, the NACWA Member Agencies in your region.
- Help ensure the retention of existing members and assist in identifying potential Member Agencies and Affiliates and encouraging them to join the Association.
Nominating Individuals to Regional Seats
To be considered for new or continuing service representing your region on NACWA’s Board of Directors, please provide 1) a statement of your qualifications and a personal confirmation of your willingness to serve; and, 2) written support of two or more designated Member Agency representatives from your region (e-mail is acceptable).
All nominations should be forwarded to both Julius Ciaccia, Chair of the Nominating Committee (Directors), and Paula Dannenfeldt, NACWA’s Chief Operating Officer, no later than Wednesday, June 8, 2016.
Julius Ciaccia, Chief Executive Officer
Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District
3900 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
Paula Dannenfeldt, Chief Operating Officer
1816 Jefferson Place, NW
Washington, DC 20036-5302
A list of the current Board of Directors is attached, in addition to a list of NACWA’s membership grouped by region. Please contact Paula Dannenfeldt, Chief Operating Officer at email@example.com or 202-833-4654 should you have any questions.