To: Members & Affiliates*
From: National Office
Date:January 20, 2016
Subject: DRAFT DISCUSSION PAPER ON SMART UTILITIES, BIG DATA
Action Please By: April 8, 2016
NACWA's Peak Performance Awards Program recognizes Member Agency facilities for excellence in wastewater treatment as measured by their compliance with their National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit, as well as those facilities that operate under a Federal or state equivalent NPDES permit, an underground injection control permit, or a state control mechanism that regulates effluent quality and reuse of reclaimed flows. Recognition is for compliance in the 2015 calendar year.
The Peak Performance Award program has honored thousands of NACWA Member Agency facilities since its inception in 1987. We fully anticipate that this year, with the program's enhancements, recognition will eclipse last year's record number of honorees.
Three Categories to Recognize Facility Achievement
NACWA's Peak Performance Awards Program consists of three categories – Platinum, Gold and Silver. The criteria for each category are as follows:
- Platinum Awards recognize 100% compliance with permits over a consecutive five-year period. Platinum Awards will be given to facilities with a consistent record of full compliance for a consecutive five year period (calendar years of 2011 through 2015). If 100% compliance is maintained beyond the initial award, Platinum Award status is continued. Should 100% compliance not be maintained, member agency facilities must receive four consecutive Gold Awards to again be eligible for another Platinum Award in their fifth year of compliance.
Included in the application packet is a list of facilities that, based on NACWA's records, are eligible for a Platinum Award this year, if full compliance was attained for the entire 2015 calendar year. If your agency has a facility that you believe is eligible for a 2015 Platinum Award, but is not included on the enclosed list, please forward a copy of your Gold Award certificates from the past four years (2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014) to Mark Hoeke at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax: 202-318-1472.
- Gold Awards are presented to facilities with no permit violations for the 2015 calendar year.
- Silver Awards are presented to facilities with no more than five violations for the 2015 calendar year.
All treatment facility applicants must be publicly owned by a current NACWA Member Agency and be in operation for at least one month or more during 2015. Treatment facilities must provide, at minimum, secondary treatment, or advanced primary treatment with a 301(h) waiver. Additionally, there are no facility capacity minimums for Peak Performance Award eligibility.
How to Apply for 2015 Peak Performance Recognition
The Peak Performance Award Application Packet provides you with complete details and information to apply for recognition. Applications for the 2015 Peak Performance Awards Program are due by April 8, 2016. Applying for Peak Performance recognition is easy – facilities may complete and submit their applications in the following ways:
- Online Application on CleanWater Central ™ – Visit www.cleanwatercentral.org to complete and submit an online application. (Please see page 2 & 3 of the application packet for detailed instructions.)
- Download Application Materials and E-mail – Download the application form. Complete and submit the application form to Mark Hoeke at email@example.com.
- Via U.S. Mail – If your utility is submitting a significant number of pages and/or several applications, please submit the application(s) via regular mail to Bredy Trombino, at NACWA's National Office, Peak Performance Awards Program, 1816 Jefferson Place, NW, Washington, D.C. 20036.
Applicants must provide a copy of the applicable Federal or state equivalent NPDES permit, an underground injection control permit, or a state control mechanism that regulates effluent quality and reuse of reclaimed flows or a copy of these requirements must already be on file with NACWA. Please review the "What to Submit" section on page 2 of the application packet carefully to determine what your facility must submit to be eligible for a Peak Performance Award.
If the survey form is not adequate to show all permit requirements and discharge results, it may be modified or a separate table may be submitted by e-mail to Mark Hoeke at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use an Excel spreadsheet where possible and include monthly flow data even if flow is not a permit limit.
Peak Performance Award Recognition
NACWA's 2015 Platinum Peak Performance honorees will be recognized at an Awards Ceremony & Reception during NACWA's 2016 Utility Leadership Conference & 46th Annual Meeting in Denver, CO in July. First-time Platinum Award recipients (Platinum5) will be invited to accept their award in person, while Multi-Platinum honorees will be recognized as a group in a multimedia presentation. All award winning facilities will be -showcased in the July-August edition of NACWA's e-newsletter, the Clean Water Advocate. Certificates for all Platinum, Gold and Silver honorees will be distributed to the NACWA primary contact in early August 2016. Additionally, the opportunity to purchase Peak Performance wear will be provided for all honorees.
Please contact Mark Hoeke via e-mail: email@example.com, or fax: 202.318.1472, with any questions you may have regarding completion of the Peak Performance application form. General questions about the Peak Performance Award Program and/or the awards ceremony should be directed to Bredy Trombino, at NACWA's National Office, phone: 202.833.2672 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*This Member Update is provided to Affiliate Members for information only.